At N Brown, we’re committed to building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive environment that values equality for all. Our vision is that by ‘championing inclusion, we’ll become the most loved and trusted fashion retailer’. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging are, therefore, at the heart of our culture.
We’re a forward-thinking digital retailer with a financial services proposition to be proud of. We’re customer-obsessed, serving them through three core brands: JD Williams, Simply Be, and Jacamo. We’re experienced, with over 160 years of trading under our belt. We’re inclusive, as we believe in fashion without boundaries; and we’re sustainable, striving to make as little impact on the planet as possible.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to support our Castle project team. You’ll be at the heart of a unique and exciting venture to assemble a new financial services platform as part of a greenfield project. You’ll leverage your industry knowledge to drive the key sourcing and commercials for the platform. Operating like an independent start-up, within an established organisation, you’ll be completely at home with agile frameworks and will fully embrace iterative and flexible commercial approaches.
What’s in it for you?
- Hybrid working
- 24 days holiday (+ 8 bank holidays) with the option to buy an additional 10 days
- Annual bonus scheme
- Enhanced maternity and adoption leave
- Access to Apricity, a self-funding IVF benefit at a reduced rate
- Company pension with up to 8% N Brown contribution
- Mental Health support both internally and externally, including access to our wellbeing champions and counselling services
- A range of financial wellbeing support
- Colleague discount across all N Brown brands
- Onsite café with subsidised rates and local restaurant discounts!
- Life Assurance and Private Medical Insurance
- Paid volunteer time – all our colleagues can take a full day paid to volunteer for a charity of their choice
What will you do as an Data Engineer at N Brown?
- Collaborate with a team of engineers to develop, maintain, and enhance our analytics platform.
- Contribute to the data processing technical domain, including the implementation of frameworks that support N Brown's scalability in data processing. Liaise with the Architecture team to integrate state-of-the-art technologies that add value to our business.
- Engage in the adoption of robust CICD practices to minimise deployment risks.
- Adhere to best practices in coding and contribute to the team's knowledge sharing. Collaborate with the wider Data Engineering and Group Data team to align ways of working.
- Enhance your software development skills to support the analytics platform more effectively. Advocate for test-driven, quality-first engineering practices.
- Work with governance to develop scalable, robust solutions, ensuring the delivery of quality data to our customers.
- Actively participate in cross-functional teams, driving best practices and focusing on delivering results.
- Engage in an agile operating model, collaborating with different squads and teams.
- Liaise with stakeholders to manage the Analytics Platform effectively, ensuring it is reliable, scalable, and secure. Adopt a proactive approach to monitoring.
What skills and experience will you have?
- Excellent communication skills to effectively articulate technical concepts to business stakeholders and understand their needs.
- Experience in implementing large-scale data projects, with a focus on end-to-end data architecture.
- Deep interest in data engineering and its impact on enhancing experiences and informing business decisions.
- Proficiency in working with Cloud Platforms; GCP experience is advantageous but not mandatory.
- Eagerness to experiment and innovate, maintaining focus on outcomes.
- Understanding of Agile principles, practices, and tools like Jira and Confluence.
What Software and Technology experience will you have?
- Experience with Cloud products (Cloud SQL, BigQuery, RedShift, Snowflake, Apache Beam, Spark) or similar technologies.
- Proficiency in open-source data-stack tools such as Airflow, Airbyte, DBT, Kafka, etc.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like PowerBI, Tableau, or Looker.
- Knowledge of Teradata, Mainframe, and/or Google Analytics is beneficial.
- Understanding of data governance, data management, analytics, science, and visualization workflows.
- Awareness of the modern cloud data stack, headless BI, analytics engineering, data meshes, and lake-houses.
What to expect from our interview process?
You’ll hear from one of our Talent Team initially where they’ll talk you through the role and get to you better. You’ll then have a short call with the Head of Data Engineering to discuss the role and your experience in more detail then, if aligned, you’ll be asked to complete a panel interview meeting several stakeholders from across the business.
Ways of Working
We offer hybrid working which varies across the business depending on the role you’re in. For this role, the expectation would be 1 day per week. Our Head Office is located in the Northern Quarter in Manchester City Centre. So if you are travelling by train, tram or bus we’re perfectly located, plus we’re surrounded by cool cafes, trendy bars and the best places to eat!
Our working hours are 36.17 per week and our core working hours are between 10am - 4pm. Given we don’t have strict working hours you can find the working pattern that’s right for you.
Our promise to you:
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What happens when you apply to a role at N Brown?
As soon as we receive your application, we’ll send you an email to let you know. We always aim to come back to you as soon as possible with an update and we really appreciate you taking the time to apply for a role with us. Good luck!