Main purpose of the role:
This is a senior development role working in the team responsible for the firm’s Big Data analytics platform, with a specialism in Java or Scala required. The successful candidate will work with the data team to build out the existing platform to support additional technology and business use-cases involving both on-premise and Cloud implementations. The platform delivers data solutions across BGC Group including use-cases for: market data analytics, regulatory reporting, surveillance and revenue analysis.
- To work in partnership with the business/business analysts to identify key requirements for implementation
- To identify any technical requirements for new products
- To work with all the business and technology departments to ensure all business and technical requirements are met
- To identify and manage any integration work
- To analyse, design and build any such projects
- To provide input into the current and on-going system architecture
- To liaise with other development teams as necessary to implement cross-team projects
- Be alert to Conduct Risk issues, specifically the risk of harm to client interests, market integrity and/or competition in financial markets due to inappropriate practices or behaviours across the firm
To undertake and manage:
- Systems analysis and design
- Systems development
- Systems documentation
- Production support and out-of-hours system maintenance
Skills / experience required:
- Development experience working with Big Data platforms covering the following technologies:
- Hortonworks, Hive
- Kafka, KafkaConnect, KafkaStreaming + ZooKeeper
- Spark, SparkSQL
- ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana
- Linux, Docker, Java or Scala (with Python beneficial)
- Substantial database experience: Relational and NoSQL data modelling.
- Jenkins, Ambari, Ansible, Yarn
Additional Skills / experience:
- AWS: Data Pipeline, S3, EMR, Lamda, DynamoDB, RedShift
- Experienced in addressing efficient data storage and querying against very large stores.
- Experience of accommodating key requirements of MIFID II in designs/implementations.
- Recent experience using high performance messaging middleware such as Tibco RV or Solace.
- Experience of software development in a financial services environment advantageous
- Willingness to keep up to date with latest technology trends and proactively identify appropriate areas into which they can be applied
- Solid Computing Degree
- Team player with excellent inter-personal skills and confident communication skills.
- Able to effectively disseminate knowledge and experience to less experienced team members.
- Must be able to deal with our customers effectively, ie development teams working across the globe using Messaging and Data products, alongside external vendors who use the products.
- Must be able to deal with and adapt to change extremely effectively.
- Must be proactive in generating ideas and effective at developing solutions that are balanced, proportionate and effective. It is critical that this is achieved in collaboration with the global team.
- Ability to work and function under pressure, handle multiple tasks, and shifting priorities
- “Self-starter” always looking to improve quality of process and deliverables and keen to take a lead role in that process