McLaren Applied Technologies is a high-performance technology company which combines fresh thinking and innovation to solve crucial challenges and improve people's lives in industries as diverse as health, public transport, automotive and motorsport.
As a part of our Modelling and Decision Sciences function, you will build the modelling components that underpin our data-driven products and solutions from research and design, prototype and validation, through to deployment. You will work as part of cross-disciplinary teams alongside software engineers, systems engineers, and designers.
You will also contribute to our core technology platforms for data and model management, as well as pushing forward our capability in our three key areas of Modelling and Decision Science: modelling insight, optimisation and control.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our ConditionInsight portfolio team. In this team we develop condition monitoring solutions across public transport and automotive applications. We are looking for someone who has an appreciation of both simulation-driven and data-driven modelling to understand the behaviour of physical systems. You could be developing machine learning anomaly detection algorithms to identify unusual behaviour of mechanical systems, building predictive maintenance solutions driven by physics-based models, fusing sensor-based telemetry data with contextual information about a system such as maintenance logs, or using parameter estimation techniques to tune models based on a system’s behaviour. You will be motivated and excited by delivering impactful solutions into the hands of end-users, and also curious and passionate about cutting-edge technology.
- Identify and develop core analytical components for delivery of products
- Plan and lead development of analytical solutions from design through to implementation and testing
- Own an area of technical specialism within the team and drive forward best practice and development in that area
- Mentor other team members and contribute to the continuous improvement of the team
- Act as technical lead on team-specific projects, and as functional lead on cross-functional projects
- Drive the improvement of team processes by taking a lead role in team activities such as project estimation, code reviews and retrospectives
- Identify the 'right tool for the job' for different tasks, including technical and commercial considerations
- Manage interactions with other functions in the company, and provide technical input to proposals/commercial activities
- Engage and influence key stakeholders in making recommendations on technical approaches, data or tools
Knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience
- BSc/MSc in Mathematics, Physics, Mechanical/Control Engineering, Computer Science, or other numerate discipline.
- Demonstrable experience in using physics-based modelling to understand the behaviour of physical systems.
- Demonstrable experience in developing models based on time-series data.
- Proficiency in at least one of Python or MATLAB, including good software practices (clean code, version control, unit testing).
- Experience in writing object-oriented code.
- Demonstrable technical expertise in applying data science/machine learning approaches to engineering challenges.
- Experience with some of the following:
- Distributed processing technologies (e.g. Spark, Dask)
- Messaging technologies (Kafka, MQTT)
- Cloud deployment of algorithms (e.g. AWS, Docker)
- Proficiency in text mining/natural language processing,
- Expertise in condition monitoring/predictive maintenance applications.
Values and behaviours
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach by sharing information and ideas openly with others.
- Demonstrates a strong desire to learn new approaches and ability to learn – act – reflect.
- Helps others to learn by sharing knowledge and experience and demonstrating skills as needed.
- Passion for innovation and excellence.
- Respects different views and opinions and takes time to understand other perspectives. Where differences occur, the ability to tactfully challenge.
- Demonstrates personal ownership for delivering their role, their learning and their career, but also will seek out support when required.
You will be based in our London offices which are designed to offer the best possible environment to our Software & Analytics teams. There may be occasional travel to the world-famous McLaren technology Centre.
- If your application is successful, you will be invited for a phone interview with one of our experienced technical recruiters.
- If our recruiter believes you're suitable for the role, you will then be asked to complete a technical challenge. This will be completed in your own time.
- If you are successful, you’ll then be invited for a phone interview with one of the hiring managers which will include technical questions relating to the job role.
- The final stage involves a face to face interview in London or at the McLaren Technology Centre, with the hiring manager and other members of the team.