Big Data ArchitectLondon | United Kingdom | European Union | EU | Remote | Work from Home | Travelling
Why you?Are you a EU based Big Data Architect? Do you want to work remotely? Can you be a recognized thought leader in Big Data technologies and related business metrics for enterprises and startups alike? Do you want to work in a client-facing role that requires strong technical leadership skills? Do you have the ability to drive projects to success and work under stress in fast-paced environments? Can you work as a true consultant to a client and help them to draft technology roadmaps; documenting best practice; identify gaps and then come up with with precise steps of how to get there? Can you work with internal and client teams to implement the details of the backlog you have helped build, stay consistent with best practices and most of all ensure customer satisfaction? If you have a passion for Big Data, consulting, and solving complex problems then this could be the job for you!
What will you be doing?
- Collaborating with and supporting Pythian sales teams in the pre-sales & account management process from the technical perspective, remotely and on-site for Big Data focused consulting projects.
- Travelling to client sites frequently to provide face to face consulting services, meetings and presentation as well as delivering from work and value home.
- Conducting technical audits of client’s existing architectures (Infrastructure, Performance, Security, Scalability and more) document best practices and recommendations.
- Lead and meet the expectations for client deliverable completion timelines.
- Work with Pythian’s clients to help them develop data architecture models to further enable effective service oriented delivery.
- Providing component or site-wide performance optimizations and capacity planning.
- Mentoring and working with both internal and client development teams directly delivering against an agile backlog.to help engineer highly available, more manageable Big Data platforms.
What do we need from you?
While we realise you might not have everything on the list to be the successful candidate for the Big Data Architect job you will likely have at least 10 years experience in a variety of positions in IT and specialized knowledge and experience in the below:
- A strong desire to work in a customer facing consulting type role.
- Experience Architecting Big Data platforms using Apache Hadoop distros like, Cloudera, Hortonworks and MapR.
- Strong knowledge of cloud data processing architectures.
- In-depth knowledge of popular database and data warehouse technologies from Microsoft, Amazon and/or Google (Big Data & Conventional RDBMS), Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Teradata, Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data warehouse concepts.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture.
- Be fluent in at least 2 object oriented language, preferably java and python, and have familiarity with functional languages and be proficient in SQL.
- Experience with Hive and Impala.
- Experience with major distributed processing frameworks: Mapreduce, Spark, Storm, Flink.
- Experience with Kafka and Spark Streaming
- Ability to work with software engineering teams and understand complex development systems and patterns.
- Ability to travel and work across Europe (occasionally on short notice) up to 50% of the time.
- Strong communcation skills in English
- Experience with BI platforms, reporting tools, data visualization products, ETL engines.
- Real-time Hadoop query engines like Dremel, Cloudera Impala, Facebook Presto or Berkley Spark/Shark.
- DevOps experience with a good understanding of continuous delivery and deployment patterns and tools (Jenkins, Artifactory, Maven, etc)
- Experience with Hbase.
What do you get in return?
- Competitive total rewards package
- Flexible work environment: Why commute? Work remotely from your home, there’s no daily travel requirement to the office!
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days, attend conferences, become certified, whatever you like!
- Office Allowance: A device of your choosing and personalise your work environment!
- Fun, fun, fun: Blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity.
Why Pythian?Established in 1997, Pythian is a global IT Data company based in Ottawa, Canada that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We are focusing on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!As a Big Data Architect in the UK or EU, you will be part of our Customer Service Delivery team that is entrusted to manage our global client's mission critical systems as well as deploying cutting edge technology from blockchain to serverless and cloud databases, covering all modern data and infrastructure. They deliver first class personalized level of service to our clients across financial, educational, media, retail and many more.
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian? Check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife.Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Europe and around the world! Pythian Careers
- Disclaimers Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities.
- Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- All applicants will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check
- This role requires applicants are legally eligible to work full time in the required country. At this time, Pythian is unable to accommodate any requests for relocation or sponsorship of individuals’ VISA / work permit applications.
- No recruitment agencies please