Hi. We are ASOS!
Here at ASOS, we want to give everyone the confidence to be their best self, because, when you’re at your best, you can achieve amazing things.
Our Technology team pioneer incredible solutions that change the way our millions of customers can access fashion. We believe that fashion can make you look, feel and be the best version of you and it’s this feeling of empowerment that we want our ASOSers to experience while working with us.
Our ASOSers reflect the diverse society they live in; we celebrate our differences and welcome people from all different walks of life. We’re looking for people who can live and breathe our values of being authentic, brave and creative and we don’t care about labels - we recognise there are endless ways to be ‘you’.
Big Data Engineer | London
About the role:
We are building ASOS's AI platform – a unique big data infrastructure that will ingest and serve massive amount of data to power our predictive data products, leveraging the latest in machine learning and AI technologies.
We are looking for outstanding cloud and big data folks to join us early on and help build the new platform and grow our team of polyglot engineers and data scientists. If you are passionate about technology and architecture, love hands-on development and want to build very scalable, highly available systems– you should work with us! You'll have the unique opportunity to work alongside data scientists to build innovative data products that will impact the business performance at all levels.
What you'll be doing
- Evaluate, select and deploy massive data processing infrastructure
- Design and build cloud-scale Services and API’s
- Handle all aspects of development – design, development, build, deployment, monitoring and operations.
- Research and experiment with emerging technologies and industry trends with a view to bringing business value through early adoption
- Work in an agile, cross-functional team composed of engineers and machine learning scientists, taking responsibility for delivering predictive data products
Our current stack consists of applications written in Python and Scala and deployed to Azure using TeamCity and Octopus. Our microservices are packaged in containers and deployed to Kubernetes. Our big data pipelines run on Spark and PySpark and are orchestrated using ADF. We use Git and VSTS for source control and Jira for backlog management.
Who we’d like to meet:
Profound understanding of Hadoop core concepts and technologies:
- Experience in delivering big data solutions using a leading Hadoop distributions like Hortonworks, Cloudera, MapR
- Understanding of big data technologies (MapReduce, YARN, Hive, Pig, HDFS, Flume, Sqoop,...)
- Apache Spark (RDD, DataFrame, Datasets, Streaming)
- Working knowledge with cloud platforms
- Core programming knowledge:
- OOP principles
- Proficient in one or more of the following: Java, Scala, Python
- Shell scripting
- Previous significant experience in a Data Engineering role:
- Knowledge of RDBMS, ETL and Data warehouse technologies
- Broad knowledge of software delivery lifecycle and CI/CD toolset:
- Git & Continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, TeamCity, Ansible, Terraform
- Testing frameworks like Junit, Scalatest, ScalaCheck, Mock testing
It will be a plus to have:
- Exposure to Microsoft Azure stack
- Cassandra, MongoDB or equivalent NoSQL databases
- Container technologies like Docker
- Knowledge of advanced analytics and insights techniques (e.g. predictive analytics, machine learning, segmentation)
- Knowledge of deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, Keras
- Knowledge of machine learning libraries like MLLIB, sklearn
- Experience in retail and/or e-commerce
What’s in it for you:
- A truly unique, energetic and Agile working environment where you’ll be surrounded by passionate experts in their field from varying backgrounds and industries with two common interests: Technology & Fashion.
- Generous salary, bonus and pension matching
- Huge staff discount and regular £1 sample sales!
- Flexible Benefits scheme
- Generous holiday allowance & subsidised canteen
- State of the art onsite gym at HQ with free membership
- Life insurance, medical care, cycle to work scheme
- Excellent Learning & Development schemes and career development programmes
- Tech Develops Day – one day per month dedicated to developing yourself and developing others within Tech