Exscientia is at the forefront of Artificial Intelligence (AI) driven drug discovery. Our AI driven systems actively learn best practice from vast repositories of drug discovery data and are further enhanced with knowledge acquired from seasoned drug hunters. Our team are passionate in the pursuit of excellence and at Exscientia you will enjoy a flexible, inspiring and dynamic working environment. Exscientia is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a culturally diverse team.
The Discovery Biology team in Exscientia is responsible for enabling small-molecule therapeutic projects by providing GPCR biology, protein production, biophysical and crystallographic capabilities. The team works on diverse target classes and strongly integrates with the Centaur Chemist AI platform to support the transformative efficiency improvements in clinical candidate discovery demonstrated with our systems.
We are looking to recruit an experienced scientist specialising in X-ray crystallography, protein expression and purification to support the discovery of new therapeutic molecules. The candidate will be responsible for the crystallization and the structure determination of protein-small molecule complexes by x-ray crystallography. The work will include protein production for structural purposes, crystallization, X-ray data collection, structure determination, and analysis.
- To perform high throughput crystallization experiments on multiple protein targets with and without ligands
- Optimize the initial crystallisation hits to obtain stable reproducible crystal systems
- Implementation of the established techniques of crystal manipulation including ligand soaking, crystal cryo-protection and harvesting
- Regular use of synchrotron facilities to execute standard x-ray data collection
- X-ray fragment screening experiments within the Diamond XChem pipeline
- Expression of proteins in heterologous systems such as E. coli, insect and mammalian cells as required
- To purify recombinant proteins by affinity chromatography methods
- To analyse recombinant proteins
- Attention to detail including good record keeping
- To author high quality reports and data summaries
- To communicate updates to projects
- Represent Discovery Biology at scientific meetings
- To work to the highest scientific standards under the direction of the Head of Crystallography
- Experience with high throughput crystallisation methods for screening using robotics
- Know-how of strategy design for crystal conditions optimization
- Skill in crystal manipulation, including soaking, cryoprotection, crystal harvesting
- Experience in synchrotron source X-ray diffraction experiments, data collection optimization and beamtime preparation
- Proficiency with X-ray data processing, structure solution and refinement
- Knowledge of ligand chemical restraints definition and ligand structure refinement
- Experience in protein purification and analysis including affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography, SDS-PAGE and Western blotting and the use of FPLC systems
- Excellent interpersonal intelligence
- A demonstrable analytical approach to problem solving
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Understanding of all crystallographic methods (e.g. microbatch)
- Comprehension of others structural biology techniques (e.g. SAXS and Electron Microscopy)
- Experience in cell culturing techniques, ideally in both mammalian and insect cell lines
- Experience in designing constructs for recombinant protein production of crystallographic targets
- Previous work experience in an industrial environment
The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a strong honours degree plus either a postgraduate qualification up to PhD degree or proven industry laboratory experience in the life sciences.Exscientia offers an intellectually stimulating and fast-paced working environment. Candidates will join an expanding, international team and will experience the excitement and sense of accomplishment presented by an innovative company changing an industry. We offer a competitive package commensurate with qualifications and experience.Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.