McLaren Applied Technologies:
McLaren Applied Technologies is a high-performance technology company which combines fresh thinking and innovation to solve crucial challenges and improve people's lives in industries as diverse as health, public transport, automotive and motorsport.
Our team is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our range of High Performance Components which include products such as sensors, alternators and ignition coils primarily for the Motorsport market. We develop standard products for multiple customers as well as bespoke solutions for many challenging applications.
The multi-discipline Design Team collaborates with all Applied Technologies’ Business Units and the wider McLaren Group to create cutting edge, commercially viable products and services.
As an Embedded Softaware Engineer you will be responsible for the full development cycle of software design and deveopment for sensors, alternator regulators and test equipment solutions for a variety of electronic sensors and control units.
- Responsible for the full development cycle of software design and development for sensors, alternator regulators and test equipment solutions for a variety of electronic sensors and control units
- Full software design from concept, prototype to manufacturer and production.
- Creation of design specifications and customer documentation
- Communicate with suppliers
- Communicate with customers to define product design specifications
- Working closely within a multi-disciplined team (hardware/software/mechanical)
- Design of production test software
- Creation of production documentation
- Working to tight project deadlines
- Multitasking and adapting to changing project requirements within a fast-paced environment
- Provide support to production department
Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working on embedded products
- Strong experience in embedded software development in C, ideally on Microchip and Freescale microcontrollers
- Engineering degree, or equivalent technical degree.
- Experience of working from fundamental principles to solve engineering challenges.
- Documenting and presenting to a high standard in internal design reviews and externally to customers
- Understanding of microcontroller architecture, knowledge of electronic principles, and communication systems such as CAN.
- Good understanding of standard communication protocols (e.g CAN, SPI, I2C)
- Understanding of basic electronic principles
- Experience in C++ and Visual Basic
- Knowledge of the functionality of transducer and sensing principles
- Previous experience within an embedded engineering design role
- Adept at researching, understanding and implementing technical solution methods when beyond current skill set
The Work Environment
You will be based at the world-renowned McLaren Technology Centre. Our campus includes a subsidised restaurant, a café, a gym with a pool, break-out spaces, bicycle storage facilities and more.
Our environment is designed to encourage collaborative working across all teams. You will be within one hundred metres of a specialist within their field, whether it’s in design, modelling and simulation, software development, data analytics, electronics hardware, finance and marketing.
McLaren’s Product Innovation Framework
Take the unique opportunity to bring your own ideas to life, whether it’s a software package or a tangible product. If the application for your idea is successful, it will be backed by a significant pledge from the business to fund time and materials costs. Our ambition is that we continue to foster the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship within Applied Technologies.
- If your application is successful, you’ll be invited for a phone interview with one of our experienced technical recruiters.
- If our recruiter believes you’re suitable for the role, you will then be invited for a phone interview with senior members from the engineering team which will last approximately 30 minutes.
- The final stage includes a face to face interview at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, Surrey. This is usually with the Hiring Manager, and a Senior Engineer or a Team Leader. The interview will involve a series of skills based technical questions and problem solving or design challenges