We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
The aim of the Business Insights team is to bring together data from our core systems (Finance, CRM, HR and others) to provide a single view of the business for reporting and analysis. The team currently manage a mature data warehouse including around 25 bespoke reporting databases. As well as a large SSIS portfolio to maintain, there are also several SSAS tabular models to support; a growing portfolio of Power BI data models, dashboards and reports to manage and many legacy SSRS reports to maintain.
The team also support and maintain several web applications (developed in asp / .net) that capture team specific data for reporting purposes
The main objective of the team over the coming year is to support the business through the early life support of a new SaaS based finance system; to ensure the smooth running of continual and incremental data feeds and meet the demands for data and analytics through Power BI.
A secondary objective is to modernise the firm’s data platform. This will involve upgrading from the current SQL 2012 environment and making use of Azure data services to improve the firm’s analytic capabilities.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses
and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can
expect from this Business Intelligence Developer role.
Making quality second nature.
This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do
has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level
standards we have for the work that we do.
Own your own work.
· You will demonstrate sound industry and technical knowledge and is able to apply this in the role
· Stays current with industry trends
· Maintains strong relationships with internal customers.
· Works collaboratively across all areas of the firm and within the Insights and Analytics Team to maximise our contribution to the firm and to clients
· Has a clear understanding of Business Intelligence tools (including the MS BI stack) and SQL to write queries/manipulate data with awareness of risk to the integrity of tha data
· Has a passion for technology and delivering solutions to customers
· Has an ability to quickly learn new technologies and can challenge established ways of working to bring new ideas and better methods.
· Provides innovative methods and solutions to enable customers to access complex data in a simple and effective manner (SSRS etc)
· Develops and maintains the data warehouse using data modelling methodologies
· Develops and maintains OLAP / Tabular cubes (SSAS/MDX/DAX)
· Develops and maintains enterprise ETL packages (SSIS)
· Makes sound design decisions for BI solutions, using first-rate analysis and problem solving skills
· Provides support for the Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Systems issues
· Supports and develops the SQL infrastructure and improves our database platforms
· Handles the pressures and complexity of working on multiple diverse projects within a small team
· Supports and advocates SharePoint BI tools for the wider business (including Excel Services / PowerPivot / SSRS)
· Seeks regular feedback and identifies and acts upon learning and development needs in order to develop technical and personal skills
Build your brand. Given the importance of the Business Intelligence Developer, this role offers exciting opportunities for the right person to expand their knowledge
The minimum criteria
You will have a minimum of a couple of years’ experience in a similar role (MI
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every
box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop
along the way.
· Experience in developing Microsoft Power BI data models
· Experience in developing using agile methodologies and following the change and release management framework
· Experience in data extraction & reporting from core enterprise systems such as Finance, practice management, CRM and HR
· Experience in developing .net web applications to support ongoing projects and data delivery methods
· Experience of developing ETL processes in a SaaS environment
· Experience of using Azure data analytics stack
· Experience of SQL 2012 to 2017
· Experience of migrating / upgrading SQL platforms (including jobs/ETL, reports, cubes etc)
· Experience of data mining techniques and predictive analytics
· Experience of using Python or R for data preparation / analysis
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership : Everyone has the chance to lead their
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We
love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no
matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility : The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to
do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.
Life at Grant Thornton