Job Title:Lead BI Software EngineerJob Type:PermanentReporting Relationship: Head of DevelopmentLocation:London Head Office, Holborn
Argus is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets. As a business, we continue to grow and evolve, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.Job purpose
Lead Engineers are the detailed technical authority within a development team. They are responsible for the design, implementation and running of applications at Argus. Lead engineers manage and mentor up to four other engineers in their team.
The Customer Insight team is responsible for providing the business intelligence platform that other teams use to discover customer and business insight. The team is responsible for progressively rolling out new data sets, reports and dashboards ensuring that the solution is performant, highly available, and suitable for the consuming users and applications. This role works closely with other Lead Engineers, the Architecture team and data team to revise and refactor our BI data models as appropriate.
Lead Engineers work with and are supported in this role by:
- Architects, who provide higher-level implementation advice and strategy.
- Product managers who provide a development pipeline and help run the multidisciplinary team involved in product development.
- QA engineers, responsible for testing software in development and production.
- DevOps engineers who provide dedicated expertise – although Lead Engineers are expected to be closely involved with DevOps too.
- 3-4 other Lead Engineers in the department.
- Working as the leader of a Scrum team to produce production code in line with business requirements.
- Owning the BI data pipeline and its bespoke and off the shelf systems and growing /improving these as required.
- Recruiting, training and developing the software engineers who report to you.
- Technical leadership, providing reference implementations and demonstrations of new technologies and frameworks, and ensuring a high standard of software development.
- Resolve technical debates/arguments to focus the team on working solutions.
- Contribute to the strategic technology direction of the company.
Essential skills and experience
- A strong understanding of software development, encompassing all layers, including the human ones.
- A good practical understanding data warehousing, data visualisation and data ops.
- Large relational database systems experience e.g. Oracle, SQL etc
- Lead experience - ability to re-enforce and nurture professional coding practices in the team.
- A solid understanding of relevant software design patterns.
- Experience of and skill in using modern tools for software development, including profilers, IDEs, revision control systems, release automation systems, defect tracking, log file analysis and performance and security related tools.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, the ability to contribute to meetings as required
- 3-5 years of experience with visualisation and analytics in a BI platform such as Birst, Tableau, PowerBI or AWS Quicksight.
- Understand star, snowflake data models and have implemented BI on top of them
- Exposure to ETL/data integration tools like Oracle Warehouse Builder, Data Integrator, Data Stage, Ab Initio
- Curious, self-driven, analytical and excited to play with data
Desirable skills and experience
The following are all technical areas that Argus uses or plans to use extensively. Experience and/or interest in one or more of them will be helpful
- Data science and data analytics with R, Python and Java
- Experience with Column store databases like Redshift and best practices handling large data volumes a BIG PLUS
- Continuous deployment and auto-scaling with AWS
- Containerisation with Docker
- Serverless computing with AWS Lambda
- Agile development methodology
About Argus Media
Argus is an independent media organisation with over 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training