Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
About this role
The Data, Analytics & Insights Office (DAIO) is helping to transform Openreach into a data-driven enterprise, where proactive insight is at the heart of our decision making - fuelled by the democratisation of data, improved data literacy of our people, constant access to the data we need and the ability and inquisitiveness to question, hypothesis, test and learn from data. Put simply, we want to empower every person in Openreach to always make the very best possible decision.
As a DAIO Data Engineer, you will play a key part in achieving the following:
- Creating and maintaining datasets that allow members of the Data Office and the wider business unit to make better decisions from analysis, modelling and automation.
- Contribute to the creation of a data architecture that serves the DAIO and wider business unit so that members can have confidence in data that is easily accessible and trusted.
- Enable adoption of a powerful, scaleable cloud infrastructure by transforming Openreach data into a consumable source in the cloud.
You'll have the following responsibilities
- • Drive exploration of data sources and identify opportunities to unlock value from new datasets
- Create datasets that are easily understandable and consumable by the DAIO and wider SD
- Maintain datasets ensuring errors are resolved and that data is always readily available
- Assist the data office in its migration of data from legacy on-premise systems to cloud based platforms
- Contribute to a business encompassing data architecture that will allow Openreach to operate optimally and drive value for our customers
- Collaborating across the DAIO, the wider business, with our customers and external partners to improve existing and create new data pipelines
- Demonstrable knowledge of enterprise scale data sources and platforms
- Understand, develop and enhance Openreach Best Practice for data aggregation, cleansing and transformation and storage
- Understand how your work with data feeds into the wider DAIO, SD and Openreach strategy
You'll have the following skills & experience
- Ability to understand stakeholder requirements and manager stakeholders effectively to ensure requirements become reality.
- Ability to effectively manage data architecture, documenting decisions and processes.
- Has significant experience in data mining and data quality, including experience ensuring quality and regulatory compliance in large data sets.
- Has significant experience working with large data models/ data records/ data lakes.
- Experience of Data Engineering on cloud platforms: GCP and AWS in particular.
- Proficient with common Data Engineering tools including Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, Hadoop, StreamSets, Glue.
- Ability to self-manage and deal with ambiguity and unknowns while making progress on multiple projects at once.
- Be adept in optimising scripts so that data builds are efficient and effective, and are easy for analysts to use.
- Ability to respond swiftly to demands and implement solutions that allow business to return to normal operations.
- Experience of working in Agile and/or DevOps teams.
- Experience of working with offshore teams and delivering success through virtual teams.
- Understanding of data models and experience in embedding functional data models.
- Proactively respond to business developments, identifying opportunities where data can help drive decisions.
- Good communication skills and ability to work with peers demonstrating vertical and lateral influence.
- Awareness of new developments in the world of data and how they could be applied to Openreach.
- Ability to self-teach new skills and a hunger to improve.
- Knowledge of Openreach source-systems and data architecture is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience integrating data sets with dashboard applications e.g. Qlik, R-Shiny, Tableau is preferred, but not essential.
- Competence in one or more of R, C#, Python is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience of working with ML and/or AI is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience of data security and working with data that has associated legal compliance duties is preferred, but not essential.
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- 10% on target bonus
- Pension scheme
- Shares Plan
- Flexible benefits: cycle to work, childcare vouchers, healthcare, etc.
- Discounted BT products
Openreach Limited runs the nation’s digital network. We play a key role in British society, helping homes, schools, hospitals, broadcasters, government, businesses and more connect to the world.
We're a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group, and our customers are the 640+ communications providers who sell phone, broadband and Ethernet services to homes and businesses. And we’re on a mission - to make the country’s digital network services faster, better and more affordable.
Our people are experienced, resourceful and innovative, working on vital projects that help support the nation at work, in learning, on the move, at rest, at play, in emergencies and much more.
So if you’d like to be a part of an exciting organisation that’s making a real difference, why not join us today? You can read more here about working at Openreach.
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!#LI-OR
COVID-19 Notice: We’ve changed our recruitment process so that we can continue to offer exciting opportunities in Openreach We’ve moved to ‘virtual hiring’ until further notice - which includes video interviews and virtual onboarding, to make sure that we maintain candidate and employee safety.