This new role within the LGC Standards Business Analytics team is a great opportunity for an analytically minded and ambitious individual to support the evolution of business analytics across the division. Working as part of a small team the role will provide the successful candidate with a challenging and rewarding working environment with ample room for personal development and growth within the team and the LGC Standards Business. The role will suit a strong, motivated practitioner who is eager to learn new skills, and offers flexibility in terms of working hours and working from home, although primarily an office based role. Career progression opportunities will occur through the growth of the business, both organically and through a strong M&A pipeline, and initiatives to deploy more analytical tools and accelerate data integration.
You will have a wide range of responsibilities supporting the team in delivery of analytical and reporting solutions from requirements gathering, solution design, validation and report publication to meet the business demand for data analysis to support evidence based decision making. A good understanding and willingness to learn more about analytical and reporting tools will be essential to fulfilling the potential of this role. High competency in Excel and an awareness of SQL is a must, and experience of any other data extraction, manipulation and reporting tools will be useful as a starting point to unlocking the potential of our data.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Maintenance and delivery of key reports on a recurring basis until sufficiently automated to hand over as BAU
- Apply automation techniques to existing analysis and reports to remove as far as possible any manual steps in providing these to the end users
- Develop a thorough understanding of data analysis tools, such as Tableau and Business Objects, and their underlying architectures
- Work with data management teams and data owners across the business to support data quality improvement initiatives, through provision of clearly presented analysis, and reports highlighting inaccuracies in our key reporting data
- Work with data analysts across the business to promote awareness of available data sources and best practice analytics and reporting
- Document processes and guidance notes on reports, and reporting tools, to support self-service analytics
Knowledge experience and technical skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including Data Query and Data Model Pivots.
- Ability to write basic SQL queries to extract data for analysis
- Tableau (or similar) reporting and dashboard creation
- Experience with user requirements gathering and documentation
- Experience providing written and verbal guidance to users of reporting tools and reports
- A degree or equivalent qualification
- The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of experience in a commercial or financial analytics role.
Essential competencies and behaviour
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with an appreciation of data integrity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Willing and able to learn new skills rapidly and work outside of primary competency areas
- Strong business acumen with a commercial mind-set; sound financial awareness and a track record of producing high quality analysis and meeting deadlines