At AstraZeneca, patients are at the heart of everything we do.
A global company that pushes the boundaries of science, we all share a big purpose: to discover and develop life-changing medicines that save lives.
In IT we make a direct impact on that purpose – enabling the entire business to perform at its peak. Combining cutting-edge science with leading digital technology platforms and our own data sets.
Ours is a place to innovate, take ownership and run with it – with countless opportunities to learn and grow your career. You get to design your path, but there’s support all the way.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Data Governance Manager to join AstraZeneca.
The role will sit within the Data and Information Governance Team which is part of the Data Enablement, Technology Innovation and Enterprise Architecture organisation in IT. The core accountabilities of the role are to support the embedding of Enterprise Data and Information Governance policies across AstraZeneca whilst providing visibility of level of compliance and associated risks and to support the implementation of operational Data Governance within our Global IT function.
The Data Governance Manager within the enterprise Data and Information Governance Team will act as a conduit between the business areas to embed the enterprise data governance framework with the objective of providing visibility of data governance activity, understanding and reporting on data governance related risks and promoting a consistent way of operating across AZ. The role will also have the responsibility to implement the data governance framework within the Global IT function to ensure compliance with enterprise standards and reduce data related risk.
The scope of the role will include:
Data Governance Policies and Processes
- Support the creation of enterprise data governance policies and standards.
- Assure compliance to data governance policies – second line of defence model
- Identification of data governance risks across the organisation based on compliance to policies and standards.
- Develop a detailed understanding of current data governance initiatives / frameworks across the organisation in order to support the proposal / next steps of implementing a standardised framework.
- Working with the business to help understanding of enterprise data governance policies and standards to enable completion of self-assessment and identification of data governance associated risks.
- Represent enterprise data governance function within business data and information governance forums / councils as required.
- Provide mentorship and promote standard methodology as necessary.
Enterprise Data Governance Initiatives
- Lead or support enterprise data governance projects, such as:
- Enterprise Data Cataloguing
- Tooling discovery
IT Operational Data Governance
- Support mobilisation of IT Data & Information Governance.
- Create the DQM Standard Operating Procedure aligned to the D&IG Standard and DQM Guidance in collaboration with the IT D&IG working group.
- Supporting IT with Data Quality (DQ) Metrics: definition of DQ Rules and Metrics and creation and management of an IT DQ Dashboard including data collation and reporting.
- DQ Issue management including leading triaging, supporting with root cause analysis best practices and defining remediation options and controls.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Extensive experience working on a data governance programme
- Experience within the life sciences industry
- Strong functional experience in data quality management including data quality rules, data quality reporting, issue management and issue remediation
- Previous experience with data management tools (examples include Trillium, SAS DM, Information Analyser, IBM RTC, Collibra, etc.)
- Specialist knowledge of data governance principles and practices
- Excellent understanding of data concepts and experience in data management capabilities including data lineage, data definitions and data quality management (data profiling, data discovery, root cause analysis, designing and implementing automated DQ solutions)
- Good understanding of and or experience in other data related capabilities including data architecture, data analytics, data modelling, self-assessment, policy assurance, quality assurance and control testing .
- Understanding of the principles of IT security and data protection (e.g. GDPR).
- Basic Relational Database understanding
- Ability to work with business users to elicit and formally define their requirements
- Solid ability to extract information by questioning, active listening and interviewing
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills – able to collaborate closely with colleagues at all levels.
- A proven track record of building strong and effective relationship with stakeholders
- Experience of working with colleagues spread across multiple global locations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to produce clear requirements, specifications and documentation
- Able to work on own initiative within agreed boundaries
- Able to lead conflicting priorities
- Able to work with technical and non-technical staff
- Good IT skills including Excel, SQL and/or Access
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!