Global Medical Affairs (GMA) ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AstraZeneca (AZ) therapies and supports our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. GMA provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. GMA aims to lead AZ in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
This programme is an example of AstraZeneca unique commitment to fundamentally improve the lives of people living with COPD by creating an environment where patients routinely receive the right care at the right time, in the most appropriate setting. Through ACT on COPD, we are working with global and national respiratory experts from clinical practice, patient advocacy groups and the payor and policy environment, to drive early evidence-based prevention of COPD progression through the focus on prevention of exacerbation and early death, earlier intervention by challenging guidelines, HC systems and policies to adopt a more aggressive intervention stance.
Reporting directly to the Head of the programme, the Global Programme Leader will be responsible for the delivery of a world-class multifaceted programme of new and innovative medical initiatives to be implemented globally by external experts and through the AstraZeneca marketing companies directly.
This exciting new role leads the cross-functional definition, planning, alignment, coordination and delivery of the programme activities and solutions, ensuring appropriate reach and impact in line with programme objectives and KPIs. The role will work closely with the Global and local programme cross functional teams to successfully deliver the programme in all target geographies.
- Work in partnership with the Head to develop and implement the programme from strategy through to implementation (and benefits realisation)
- Develop and lead the change/implementation processes (through the development of standardised toolkits) required to support the delivery of the programme
- Build, develop and co-ordinate the global and local teams and any other operational teams required in the delivery of the programme
- Maintain and nurture effective relationships and networks with key stakeholders (brand MAL/HoB, Commercial lead, Corporate Affairs, Lead and GMT members from Marketing Companies, KEEs), customers and vendors both internally and externally
- Oversee and be accountable for complex, multifaceted programme delivery, through a programme management process which includes setting goals, objectives, resources, risk management, milestones, benefits and outcomes.
- Oversee digital, organisational development and communications and engagement activities in relation to the delivery of the programme
- Work with the digital project lead(s) to ensure successful development and implementation of all digital solutions in line with Global and locally defined strategy and plans
- Support Global teams in the development of activities and plans by mapping global high impact/quick win opportunities and barriers to implementation (cultural, technical, infrastructure, geographical, policy and legislative)
- Develop and own the programme “brand” globally in line with Global brand strategy and guidelines. Translate the value of the Precision proposition to (internal and external) stakeholders
- Work with local Programme Leads to successfully translate the global strategy, plan and deliverables into a locally adapted implementation plan designed to meet global and locally agreed objectives
- Assess and coordinate reach and frequency of global programme activities
- Drive a robust understanding of the patient pathway and HCPs who treat or refer by triangulating key information sources (e.g. Sales team, MSLs etc.) across all geographies. Support the mapping of local ‘as is’ and ‘future state’ pathways and the production of a local plan to drive towards future state.
- Act as principle contact and ensure local Programme Leads are aligned around global strategy and implementation plans and/or local ATU
- Work in collaboration with global medical, policy and payer managers to ensure all medical and cross-functional, regional and global stakeholders are engaged and informed and support local collaboration to drive engagement and training plans in country with focus on developing and reinforcing capability and networks between non-treating physicians and treating specialists.
- Budget responsibility: Ensures effective management of TA GMA budget for defined activities within the assigned target
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Business and/or medical science degree with commercial experience is required
- Experience in healthcare or biopharma industry, with a strong preference for experience in the respiratory therapeutic area.
- Proven experience of engaging with and leveraging insights from external customers e.g. KEE’s, patients and payers
- Experience of product marketing – delivering new solutions to market (ability to shape a new proposition focussed on delivering value to stakeholders)
- Ability to lead and/or engage cross-functional working groups and teams
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Robust leadership skills - promotes excellence in People, Processes & Technologies and creates a culture of innovation
- Excellent people management & development skills with a focus on empowering employees to meet and develop their potential
- Ability to analyse complex data and situations and develop a range of options/solutions
- Ability to interpret performance data and to generate high level and detailed reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to influence and negotiate at an Executive level within the organisation
- Ability to enthuse, motivate, empower and involve staff to meet challenging targets by providing direction, reviewing performance, and motivating others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead without authority
- Demonstrated ability to bring ideas to action in the following areas:
- Product launch
- Market shaping/ expansion
- Unbranded / disease awareness HCP campaigns
- Patient activation
- In-depth understanding of commercial strategy, methodologies and tools (customer profiling and segmentation, market research techniques including patient journey mapping, competitive intelligence resources)
- Successful record of creating and deploying digital content & channels