Technical Data AnalystSainsbury's Bank, AFSLochside, EdinburghIn a nutshellSainsbury’s Bank has delivered a new data platform (Apollo) which comprises of a Teradata Enterprise Data Warehouse and Hadoop Data Lake. This role will provide change analysis to optimize and enable the build out of new data platform features. The role sits within the Data Operations internal team which is responsible for undertaking the initial data analysis/modelling required to create data engineering requirements . The team also provides ad hoc support to various bank projects.
What you need to do
- Support internal change initiatives that optimize and enable the build out of new data platform features
- Support various projects which have a dependency on data analysis to drive requirements
- Monitor and track data-related incidents and gather information quickly to support DWH teams to plan and implement resolutions.
- Build SME knowledge across data domains within Apollo
- Contribute to business glossaries and data dictionaries.
- Translate business requirements into both source data requirements and consuming business applications
- Produce agreed/necessary technical artefacts to enable delivery partner design and build e.g. entity details/model entities
- Provide support in the use of enterprise data, including guidance in understanding and exploitation of the underlying data and business models
- Assess source data characteristics, including availability, structure and content
- Analyse and profile source data, including the application of data classifications
- Carry out technical analysis of business applications to document data requirements
- Document business derivations and define semantic layer requirements
- Map data requirements to relevant source data attributes
- Analyse and profile source data to assess data content, quality and suitability for delivering business requirements.
- Providing support to analyse data requirements and data stored in a disparate set of systems.
What you need to know and show
- Strong SQL skills and experience working with large complex data sets ideally from within the financial services industry.
- Experience of working in an AGILE environment would be highly advantageous.
- Well organised and able to prioritise workload in line with tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Highly numerate, with excellent analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Proven track record of working on own initiative, with the ability to introduce fresh thinking to the role and the wider team.
- Exceptional communication skills - ability to communicate effectively with anyone in any environment.
- Demonstrated success with requirements gathering, data profiling and data analysis.
- Solid understanding of Data profiling and requirement gathering processes and principles, with ability to effectively communicate and sell those ideas to others.
- Knowledge of Oracle, SAS and SQL Server would help with the understanding of source data and reporting.
- Work experience with Big Data platform providers including Cloudera and Amazon Web services, data warehousing, Teradata, distributed data architecture where data is located across a number of platforms would be beneficial.
Colleague Conduct RulesThe individual performing this role is expected to adhere to the conduct rules as specified by our regulators (PRA and FCA).
In addition to the all-important salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat store discount card
- Cycle to work scheme and great coffee and cake!
A little about us & our cultureWe’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers.Technology is where we see our growth therefore we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential.Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome at the Sainsbury’s Group, and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer that champions a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. If you’re interested in applying and are excited about working with us, but are unsure if you have the right skills and experience – we’d still love to hear from you! Apply today and we’ll be in touch (we’re also happy to discuss flexible working options (including part time)
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.
Sainsburys Bank Lochside and Home Sainsbury's Bank 3 Lochside Avenue Edinburgh EH12 9DJ