We’re a multi-channel, multi-brand business serving millions of customers a day, with the UK’s largest loyalty scheme and an ever-evolving set of digital platforms. All of this equals over 1.2 billion transactions each year, presenting a volume, depth and complexity of data that few can match.
We don’t think we’re exaggerating when we say we have the most exciting data set in the country. And from the insights gained, we build scalable, high-performance products using cutting-edge technology that give our customers an amazing shopping experience – like our award-winning Smartshop app. In an inclusive, agile environment, you’ll have the space to be curious, to experiment, and to solve real-world challenges. And you’ll get to see your creations in the hands of millions of people across the UK.
The Data Architect designs and builds leading-edge data solutions and models. They are the custodians of our data models, working closely with engineering teams to shape and design new products and services that fit into an overall data architecture for their area.
The Data Architect works in agile, empowered teams that contain all of the skills and support needed to put fantastic products in the hands of our customers and colleagues at pace. They work in a culture that encourages teams to innovate, collaborate, learn and take ownership.
More about the role
- Working with a variety of colleagues, including Product Owners and the Engineering community, to ensure the best data solutions are delivered
- Triaging new requirements, providing impact assessments and appropriate estimates for amending data models in line with solution designs and requirements
- Developing and enhancing business physical data models in line with new requirements
- Enhancing data models and being their custodian, driving alignment as appropriate
- Defining and owning modelling within a delivery team from a physical perspective on a day-to-day basis
- Ensuring the data models developed meet the appropriate standards and principles
- Creating solutions that meet business needs and move towards end state architecture
- Ensuring data models are documented, communicated, updated and centrally managed in an appropriate manner
- Working with the broader architecture community of practice to support architects and teams in other domains; sharing personal learning and expertise, and sharing plans to promote alignment and innovation across Sainsbury’s Tech
More about you
- An experienced Data Modeller, Data Architect or Solution Designer with a passion for creating order within reporting structures
- Experienced in Data Warehousing/Analytic end to end architecture
- Comfortable with different modelling methodologies – 3NF, Dimensional and Data Vault
- Abreast of the latest industry developments across data, including machine learning and modern algorithmic techniques at scale.
- Strong communication and influencing skills used to drive the implementation of data design best practice at the Engineering and Product Manager levels within and across teams
- Curiosity and drive to understand business processes and the data they generate in addition to the opportunities to structure and use this data to drive business value
As well as lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, you’ll get:
- Colleague discount across our multi-brands – Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat
- Holiday allowance
- Bonus scheme
- Pension plan
- Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.