Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Associate Principle Embedded Software Engineer in the Technical Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development department, based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K. We are looking for people who enjoy a combination of hardware and embedded software design with a passion to bring to life our future products in both existing and new category areas.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The Technical Research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products, allowing us to differentiate from the competition. A successful applicant be part of the team designing the next generation of electronic systems for our products.
About the role
This is a senior role with a mix of technical work and some technical leadership responsibility
The role involves:
- Researching into new and emerging technologies
- Taking responsibility for the delivery of high quality embedded software for platforms, including RTOS and bare metal based systems.
- Designing scripts and tools to automate testing of software.
- Developing software for demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others.
- Implementing various control algorithms on embedded systems, along with modelling and analysis of algorithms on Windows or Linux based hosts.
- Producing well-structured software for transfer to the downstream development teams at particular milestones.
- Leading software review activities.
- Documenting software requirements and architecture details.
- Contributing to review packs for project milestone and update reviews. The review packs typically include concept specifications, requirement and specification documentation, risk registers, FMEAs and design guides.
Education and experience:
BEng/MEng degree (or equivalent) in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, and a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of common software design methodologies and embedded software development in C/C++.
- Familiarity with the requirements for real time embedded software applications and demonstrable experience of working within real time constraints.
- Knowledge of Linux and FreeRTOS based systems.
- Ability to derive software requirements from product level requirements and derive own requirements when limited information is available.
- Detailed knowledge of low-level embedded microcontroller-based motor control systems and associated power systems.
- Significant experience of developing for ARM platforms including Cortex M series devices.
- In depth understanding and application of version control systems.
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Familiar with creating requirement documents.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
- Use of lab equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements.
Essential Management skills:
- Proven leadership of a small technical team to deliver project goals on schedule.
- Ability to technically manage several projects running concurrently.
- Experience of working with external suppliers and building/maintaining supplier relationships.
Essential behavioural skills:
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Effective communicator: appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to engineers and up to executive level.
- Able to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Comfortable multi-tasking and planning effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
- Excellent team working skills.
Additional experience that is desirable:
- Use of Atlassian tools (JIRA, Fisheye, Crucible etc).
- Knowledge of Python / Matlab scripting.
- Developing low level device driver software.
- UML knowledge.
- Verilog / VHDL and FPGA experience.
- Knowledge of a wide range of communication interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART desirable.
- Practical experience of building and testing electronic hardware will be beneficial.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate