Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people. We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking,then continuously refine our ideas unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Principal Data Scientist to lead our data analysis activities within the energy storage team. The focus of this role will be to architect, implement and utilise a new data analysis platform to extract and communicate information from current and future data.
The energy storage research team is a vertically integrated research organisation, running from material synthesis through to product level testing. This enables us to build a huge volume of data. The successful candidate will work with the domain experts within the team and across the business to identify and implement new approaches to data analysis.
Reporting to the Head of Energy Storage research, you will join a growing team of scientists and engineers in Dyson’s Energy Storage Research Group. Your focus will be to manage, understand and investigate data. You will:
- Be accountable for devising and implementing a data structure to manage our current data flow, considering future needs. This will include working with cloud solutions (e.g. AWS) as well as local solutions.
- Develop new solutions to analyse our existing data. This may include analysis based on physics, statistics or a blend of both.
- Propose experimental plans to build or challenge our current understanding.
- Provide technical leadership to a group of individuals within the team, defining new data analysis strategies across the whole team. This will require leading individuals outside of your direct line management.
- Work across multiple teams (energy storage research team, machine learning, NPI, IT) to determine and implement our data analysis strategy.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience designing data models and data warehouses as well as experience in SQL and NoSQL database management systems.
- Experience in large scale data processing
- Analysis of images and video, deriving features for further analysis.
- Ability to work across structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, extracting information and identifying linkages across disparate data sets
- Utilisation of process based data; stretching from manual entry to production level machine data
- Primary focus tools: Matlab, Python
- Tools to automate comparison between modelling and collected data (modelling is out of scope)
- Experience in transferring models cross functions
- Experience in working with stakeholders to understand data needs and to scope and design and prepare the data
- Development of dashboards to communicate key aspects of performance, both project and technical KPIs
- Ability to work autonomously, defining and communicating your deliverables to achieve the vision of the team.
- Excellent communications skills
- Enjoy working autonomously, towards a long-term goal.
- The ability to define and manage personal contributions within a project - with guidance from senior leadership.
- Ability to manage the contribution of others who are outside of your line management.
- Keen eye for detail in data.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written, visual and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Experience within the battery research field, this may be practical, modelling or data analysis.
- Ideally the candidate should have experience in utilisation of data analysis tools to characterise materials (spectroscopy, thermal, diffraction, mechanical).
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.