BenchSci’s vision is to bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We’re achieving it by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top-20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We’re a remote-first company recognized for our impact and culture as a Deloitte Tech Fast 50TM, CIX Top 10 Growth, Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked organization on Glassdoor. Learn more at www.benchsci.com.
We are seeking a Senior Machine Learning Engineer - NLP to join our growing R&D team! You will work on complex and challenging NLP problems that will have an impact on the 41,000+ scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, R&D, you’ll apply your domain expertise to design and build advanced machine learning algorithms, collaborate with data engineers to build benchmarking and data preparation pipelines, and work with core infrastructure engineers to deploy and monitor your models in our production system. In this role, you will have the opportunity to apply state-of-the-art solutions that will shape the future of scientific discovery.
- Design, build, evaluate and deploy robust, scalable, and production-ready ML models that enhance the speed and quality of life-saving research
- Collaborate with data and core infrastructure engineers to solve the complex problems of extracting insights from biomedical text data
- Continuously improve our machine learning workflow by keeping up to date with the latest optimizations in libraries such as PyTorch, and expand our usage of modern tools such as DVC
- Drive design discussions, apply best practices, diagnose problems and lead the resolution
- Own the solutions and long-term technical investments that will drive innovation at BenchSciWork cross-functionally with different stakeholders including BenchSci's R&D scientists and Chief Science Officer to learn, model, and capture the nuances of biology
- Participate and contribute to sprint planning, estimation, and design/code reviews
- Provide guidance to less experienced engineers and help to foster a culture of continuous growth
- Establish and apply best industry practices
- 4+ years of experience working as a professional developer or researcher applying machine learning techniques to solve business problems
- Strong experience with Python and programming fundamentalsExtensive experience with NLP and PyTorch
- Experience with designing, building, and evaluating robust and scalable production-ready ML models
- Experience with complex problem solving and an eye for details such as scalability and performance of a potential solution
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, such as SQL or pandas A growth mindset and a constant desire to learn
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Research publications in ML/AI-related fields
- Experience working with cloud environments and services
- Experience with computer vision
- A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other closely-related disciplines
What BenchSci will provide you with:
- Remote first culture to allow you to work from your preferred location
- On-site Ph.D. scientists that give expert feedback on models
- Fresh datasets that are custom curated and constantly updated One-on-one coaching and investment in your personal and professional growth
- Empowerment to own your solutions
Our benefits and perks:
- An engaging remote-first culture that hires the best talent from around the world
- A competitive compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits with an emphasis on mental health
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan for proactive health awareness
- Three weeks of vacation plus an additional day for every completed year
- Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
- Additional time-off: Winter Holiday - 2 weeks off during the Holiday season. Every other Friday in July and August, your birthday, and more!
- An Oculus Quest 2 to connect with your team members in Virtual Reality
- An executive coach for managers to assist in leading high-performing teams
- Complimentary Headspace account to support mental wellness and focus
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe to better understand your health through your DNA
Benefits and Perks:An engaging remote-first culture that hires the best talent from around the worldA competitive compensation package that includes BenchSci equity optionsComprehensive health and dental benefits with an emphasis on mental healthAn annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan for proactive health awarenessThree weeks of vacation plus an additional day for every completed yearGenerous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off optionsAdditional time-off: 2 weeks for Winter Holiday, every other Friday in July and August, your birthday, and more!An Oculus Quest 2 to connect with your team members in Virtual RealityAn executive coach for managers to assist in leading high-performing teamsComplimentary Headspace account to support mental wellness and focusComplimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe to better understand your health through your DNA
Our Culture:We believe culture is critical to success and invest accordingly. We live and promote our FASTT values of focused, advancement with speed, tenacity, and transparency. We work hard to maintain an engaging, supportive environment where everyone can do their best work. To learn more, read our culture deck.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. To learn more, read about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations:BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.