We’re looking for a talented Data Scientist excited to help us deliver solutions that contribute to customer experience improvements. You will be working with varied stakeholders in British Gas Services & Solutions. We have a broad remit. Our projects can range from complex analytical problems, to statistical modelling, to automated machine learning/AI products developed and deployed in the cloud.
- Translate unstructured complex business problems into technical requirements
- Get a deep understanding of the stakeholders’ data and how it relates to the problems that you are trying to solve; this can involve data exploration, cleansing, and preparation
- Create data pipelines to ensure we are leveraging the wealth of data within Centrica
- Proactively structure and conduct new analyses to test hypotheses, provide insights to support decision making, or better our understanding of customers
- Proactively develop data-driven tools to improve service quality and customer experience using machine learning, statistical modelling, data mining, or optimisation techniques
- Deliver quick working minimal viable products
- Carefully check, debug, and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate analysis, reports, and tools
- Work with others to embed data products in British Gas’s platform, service and maintain machine learning models
- Present to senior leaders and stakeholders
- Keep yourself up to date; help evolve the methodology and tools available to Centrica’s data science community
Abut You: Knowledge and Experience
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You are commercially minded and impact driven; you can put numbers into business perspective and translate technical expertise into positive business outcomes
- Highly analytical mindset
- You are a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
- Evidence of strong verbal and written communication skills; you can make complex messages digestible to different audiences and influence colleagues, collaborators, and stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of data structures, parallel computing algorithms, and asynchronous architectures
- Familiar with massive data sets and tools to deal with them
- Able to write complex custom SQL queries
- Proficient in at least one coding language (preferably Python or R)
- Expertise in statistical modelling or machine learning algorithms; you can pick the right tool and technique for different business needs
- PhD or master’s degree in a relevant quantitative discipline
- Experience implementing machine learning algorithms at scale
- Experience deploying end-to-end machine learning solutions in a production environment
- Skills with standard reporting tools such as Power BI or Tableau
- Experienced user of Git version control
- Familiar with cloud platforms for data analysis and machine learning (Azure, AWS)
At Centrica we embrace diversity and actively seek to attract individuals with unique backgrounds and perspectives. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team – a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels welcome and able to succeed. We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap across the technology sector and would love to see more females, people of colour and LGBTQ+ employees, as well as those from a variety of cultures and ethnicity to veterans and the differently abled. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but to add to it!
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.