We're ASOS. We blend our flair for fashion with our love of cutting- edge technology, but more importantly were interested in how we can bring the best out of you.
We exist to give people the confidence to be whoever they want to be, and that goes for our people too. At ASOS, you're free to be your true self without judgment, and channel your creativity into a platform used by millions.
As an Engineering Manager – Machine Learning at ASOS, your primary responsibility is to the people you manage ensuring they grow as engineers, assisting them in their personal and professional development and of course ensuring they are having a great time at ASOS. You will be carrying out line management responsibilities for several engineers across multiple teams including catch ups, reviews and personal development planning.
As you will be interacting with engineers across different teams, you will be expected to look out for common themes or problems, that when addressed would make ASOS a better place for engineers to work or improve the efficiency of delivery. You will then work closely with your Engineering Manager and Data Science Manager peers to deliver cross-team changes as part of the platform or community delivery plans. In this highly collaborative role you will need to work closely with your engineers and others, whether that’s within the delivery teams, the coaching and competency crew, wider technology department or ASOS-wide teams such as our People Experience teams.
What you will be doing:
- Reporting into the Platform Lead for AI & Data Science, you will be line managing a team of 12-18 engineers, setting objectives, and creating suitable personal development plans.
- Through mentoring and coaching, ensuring engineers and teams are high-performing, consistently, and iteratively delivering high-impact, high quality work.
- Continuously assess your team’s approach and process maturity (with suitable techniques and metrics), and coach them to adopt and adapt Agile methods for successful and sustainable delivery.
- Partner with leaders across ASOS to share your knowledge and drive organisational change and improvement.
- Identify trends and concerns amongst engineers and engineering teams and directly address.
- Help attract and recruit the best engineering talent.
- What success looks like: Build a high performing, diverse group of engineers who have the technical, personal skills and knowledge to deliver the business priorities whilst having fun.
- Engineers have clear career goals and development plans that are being actively used and empower them in their growth.
- Strong relationships and partnership with engineers, Engineering Managers, Coaches, Platform Leads and leadership to enable you to enact broader technology changes to better ASOS.
- Use your experience to appreciate delivery plans and drive greater efficiencies within the delivery teams.
- Strong passion for guiding, managing and coaching engineers.
- Demonstrable comprehension in the fundamentals of Software Engineering, Data Engineering and Machine Learning Engineering
- Knowledge and understanding of agile methodologies and frameworks.
- Skills to build lasting relationships with stakeholders.
- Experience as Agile Delivery Manager, Engineering Manager, Development Manager or ScrumMaster on a Data Science or Machine Learning team.
- Familiarity in using data to help inform on decision making, influence people and create meaningful change, but the confidence to use your intuition to make quick decisions.
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary, pension, and private medical care scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Flex benefits allowance - which you can chose to take as extra cash, or use towards other benefits
- 25 days paid annual leave + an extra day for your birthday
- Employee discount (hello ASOS discount!)
- Tech Develops - our internal tech focussed skills development programme to focus on your personal growth as a technologist
- Opportunity to represent ASOS at industry leading events
- Opportunity to help shape and drive our DE&I initiatives in Tech (like our WIT movement and Diversity mentoring in Tech)
- Opportunity to make an impact from day one and work with the latest in cutting edge of technology
We want our people to be whoever they want to be. That’s why we’re committed to creating a truly inclusive culture at ASOS, but how’re we doing it?
Through our Fashion with Integrity strategy we are driving diversity, equity and inclusion across every aspect of ASOS and ensuring every ASOSer can be their authentic self at work. We want our people to be whoever they want to be, because we believe people who bring their best selves to work, do their best work.
We’re proud members of Inclusive Companies, are Disability Confident Committed and have signed the Business in the Community Race at Work Charter. We’ve also recently been placed 8th in the Inclusive Top 50 Companies Employer List too.
There are safe space employee networks and we host a monthly DEI events series to help support and celebrate all of our people. We are constantly listening to our people, evolving, changing and taking a flexible approach to how we make ASOS truly inclusive.