Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Data Scientist Spire on our Aviation team, you’ll move fast, iterate quickly, and solve global problems. You might be the right fit if you love exciting technical challenges, hate getting bored, and enjoy collaborating with engineers who are changing the way the world thinks about space, satellites, the global aviation ecosystem, and data.
Spire’s Aviation Business Unit is currently working on making real-time, truly global coverage of all aircraft a reality by leveraging the capabilities of our ADS-B-tracking satellites.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in applying their data science skills to deep and challenging problems in the aviation domain. We have a treasure trove of data and challenging problems to solve. We are seeking someone with aviation experience and skills in machine learning, deep learning, text mining, big data and software/application development.
- Work individually and as part of a small team to perform anomaly detection and capability development using a variety of aviation data
- Develop and prototype algorithms and software tools
- Create new tools and enhance/maintain current analysis tools, including automation of processes
- Working closely with Product Management to define and enhance customer-facing products and applications
- Conduct quantitative data analysis using a variety of datasets, including developing retrieval, processing, fusion, analysis, and visualization of various datasets
- Has 2+ years of practical data science experience
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with a team
- Strong relational and non-relational database skills
- Able to write automated unit and integration tests
- Excellent Communication Skills (with the ability to explain tools and ML algorithms to a non-technical audience)
- Proven ability to work independently to learn new technologies, techniques, processes, languages, platforms, systems
- Enjoys working as part of a team, but can also take on and complete tasks on your own
- Comfortable working within distributed teams & multicultural environments
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with aviation data including but not limited to radar/tracking, flights, aircraft, airport, maintenance etc.
- Strong skills in some interpreted language, ideally Python (Pandas, NumPy, etc.)
- Experience with Deep Learning Frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.). Ability to apply these frameworks to real problems in the ‘time -series’ domain
- Big Data Skills (AWS, GCP, recent deep learning platforms)
- Visualizations/Web Development Skills (Tableau, xyzt, etc)
- Practical experience with statistical analysis
- Displays strong writing skills and the ability to communicate and present arguments and recommendations in writing
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.