We’re a multi-channel, multi-brand business serving millions of customers a day, with the UK’s largest loyalty scheme and an ever-evolving set of digital platforms. All of this equals over 1.2 billion transactions a year, presenting a volume, depth and complexity of data that few can match.
We don’t think we’re exaggerating when we say we have the most exciting data set in the country. And from the insights gained, we build scalable, high-performance products using cutting-edge technology that give our customers an amazing shopping experience – like our award-winning Smartshop app. In an inclusive, agile environment, you’ll have the space to be curious, to experiment, and to solve real-world challenges. And you’ll get to see your creations in the hands of millions of people across the UK.
In the Chief Data and Analytics Office, you’ll stretch the imagination of what the power of data and insights can bring to how we do things. You’ll help to unlock the value of Sainsbury’s enormous multi-brand, multi-channel data asset in a centralised ‘mini consultancy’ style analytics team that supports wide parts of the business. And you’ll use your intense curiosity to find creative ways to land impactful analysis that directly supports the Sainsbury’s strategy of ‘win in food’, ‘brands that deliver’, and ‘save to invest’.
A bit about the role
- You will be part of a high calibre team of Analysts, supported by Analytics Managers in exploiting Sainsbury’s data assets to establish the realisation of Sainsbury’s strategy.
- You’ll be primarily focussed on delivering analytical value for our Customer division, ensuring Sainsbury’s continues to develop a profound understanding of customer behaviour, and will work across the core brands of Sainsbury’s, Argos, TU Clothing and Habitat.
- You’ll have a great analytical foundation and we want you to think about how you apply that in the context of Sainsbury’s – getting to know how we operate is key so you can propose and recommend the approach that should be taken to fulfil data analysis.
- You’ll develop & maintain relationships with your stakeholders, championing a collaborative approach to requirements gathering and the formation of compelling analysis. While remaining confident in questioning and proposing approaches to analysis.
- We move at pace, whilst still delivering high quality, accurate, professional outputs that land the real truths that sit within the data. You will proactively ensure you are always in touch with the ‘Why’ behind every project – how your analysis will be used, and which decisions the business is looking to inform.
- You’ll take pride in your work, have brilliant attention to detail, and enjoy presenting findings with empathy towards an audience with a limited technical background. Possessing the ability to translate complex concepts into easily digestible stories with data, which inspire action.
What you need to know and show
- A highly numerate background. You will have a degree in e.g., mathematics, statistics, operational research, or a quality computing degree – BSc or MSc level.
- An experienced Data Analyst with strong SQL skills.
- A proven track record with 2-3 years of delivering actionable insight and demonstrable business change through the application of analytics.
- Experience using tools to extract data such as SQL (Snowflake), Python, R and Amazon EMR.
- Excellent SQL knowledge and application to Data Analytics is essential.
- Python, R or EMR experience is advantageous but not vital.
- Experience of retail and the analytical challenges retail presents is advantageous, but not essential.
- A passion for high quality data storytelling. We love data and deriving value from it. The key to the value is in being able to build and tell compelling stories based on the data that’s been interrogated.
- An inquisitive mind, with the curiosity to be constantly on the lookout for opportunities and the ability to logically solve problems.
- Proactive about driving your career development and progression.
- The ability to partner brilliantly with the business to understand their problems and deliver value; applying commercial acumen and communicating/connecting in a compelling way.
- A high level of team contribution – looking for opportunities to provide input and support across the wider analytics community.
In return you’ll get:
- Colleague discount across the multi-brands
- Holiday allowance
- Bonus scheme
- Pension plan
- Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.