Help us make a big green dent in the universe. We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
As part of the wider Octopus Energy group, Octopus Renewables sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£4bn.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage an increasingly global portfolio of renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 250 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
We are seeking a Data Analyst to join the Octopus Renewables team. Reporting to the Business Operations Manager within the Fund Management and Operations team. In an evolving world with growing and changing data sources, this role will be required to help transition to new technology and underlying data systems as we grow our business.
What you'll do
- Work with stakeholders, gather requirements and understand needs to develop visual reports, KPI scorecards, and dashboards that help stakeholders make more informed decisions
- Build and maintain regular BI reports for the Octopus Renewables Team
- Build new dbt SQL data models and maintain existing models for use in dashboards
- Help with one off analyses and reconciliations using SQL and Python in Jupyter notebooks
- Help the team automate their data processes using Python scripts and work with data engineers to ingest new data sources
- Seek to improve existing reports, identifying improvements and efficiencies
- Lead on the update and maintenance of data to ensure data quality standards are met and that data is held, queried and reported on in a consistent manner.
- Manage processes to onboard new renewable assets and collect the data required
- Work closely with a broad range of teams including Finance, Investments, Fund Management, Asset Management, Kraken Flex and Kraken Technology
- Contribute and participate in the wider Octopus data community events including talks, hackathons and stand-ups
What you'll need
- Passion about working in energy and contributing to the energy transition
- Comprehensive knowledge of data design, data modelling, data management, and data visualisation
- An ability to see the big picture and communicate insights - able to drill-down data and visualize data in the best possible way through charts/reports/dashboards.
- Financial literacy and understanding of P&Ls, Balance Sheets and Cashflow statements
- An ability to interact with business as well as technical teams
- Learns fast and is enthusiastic about learning new technologies
- Strong communication and client management skills
- Passionate about applying modern data tools to solve problems and help colleagues make better decisions
- Has experience with the following technologies; Building reports and dashboards in Power BI (or similar BI tool), a scripting language (ideally Python), wrangling data outside of a spreadsheet environment, writing queries in SQL (dbt experience is a bonus)
- Experience of working in a fund management and/or renewables business would be advantageous
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our UK perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this all sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone